Monday, October 12, 2009

Living Life, Cooking and Cleaning, Timebomb Ticking

Nothing new to report on my health this week. I know that will be disappointing to those of you who read this blog just to hear about what horrible things are happening to my body as I go through treatment. I have tried to call MSTI a couple of times to figure out when I'm next supposed to see Dr. Montgomery, but they don't call me back, so I guess now that he's done torturing me with his crazy chemicals he's done with me. That's a little disappointing since I look so forward to doing those puzzles as I wait.
It's a funny thing, but I actually have felt worse the past 10 days since quitting treatments than I have for weeks. My fingernails have little bubbles of puss underneath them and it hurts them when I scratch an itch, tie or untie shoelaces, try to open packages, or anything else that I do with them. There's a noticeable line on each one where the damaged part is and where the new, undamaged part has grown in. Also, my bottom is much more sore now than it was, but has started to improve in the past few days, and my feet and hands are still numb from neuropathy, but I'm hoping that they will soon recover. I've had a lot of headaches the past week, but I think they are a result of withdrawal from all the medications they've given me to ease the symptoms caused by the treatments, and I think the headaches will stop as soon as my body is able to get rid of all that's left behind. I'm not sure about the high glucose levels, if they've returned to normal, but I'm continuing to eat like they are high until I find out.
I was expecting to have a very gloomy day last Thursday as a result of missing the treatment day experience, but I did better than I thought I would. I took Tadman to the YMCA nursery and did a water aerobics class and was able to get energy and camaraderie there like I would have down at MSTI, and thus avoided that loneliness and sadness I was expecting to feel. The Y is such a great place for me to be, especially the pool area, because that's where all the people come who really have health challenges. Grandmas and grandpas come in their wheelchairs and get lowered into the water with this cool little machine so they can move their bodies in that warm water and not feel all the effects of gravity on those parts that are sore and weak. Extremely overweight people come to walk in the water for the same benefits. Handicapped people of all sorts make their way to that pool each day to get their exercise in, so how can I feel sorry for myself and my small afflictions and limitations when those courageous people make what must be a long and arduous journey getting there each day? I can't. What's losing a breast compared with that?
Another bright spot on Thursday was watching Hunter play football in the evening. He did such a great job of opening huge holes on that line during the JV game that his team scored 42 points before Capital had scored once. In the third quarter Capital finally did score, but then Centennial immediately answered that score with another of their own. I believe the final score was 55-21, but that makes it sound closer that it was. Unfortunately Hunter played all 4 quarters of the JV game even though it was lopsided, so when there was an injury to a lineman on the Varsity team during their game on Friday night, he was only able to play one quarter in relief of the injured player. And that injury wasn't the only regrettable thing that happened during Friday night's game. Centennial was hammered by Capital at Bronco Stadium 40-7. I know Hunter probably wouldn't have made enough of a difference to change the outcome of the game, but I think he could have helped make it respectable. It may be a coincidence, but the Statesman reporter who covered the game said Centennial wasn't able to get anything going until their third drive of the night, and that just happened to be when Hunter went in--I'm just saying. I know, I know, Greg always reminds me I am watching him through a mother's eyes, but Coach Pete was hanging out on the sidelines at the beginning of the game and stayed and watched just until Hunter was taken out. Coincidence? I think not. I hope you all know I'm joking, but in that way that you're joking, but you really are convinced what you're joking about is true. Anyway, it was a miserable game for Centennial, but nice for a mother who got to see her son finally play in a varsity game when it still mattered, and not just when his team was already ahead by 30 or more.
No Boise State game this week, as those who follow will already know, so Saturday was open to other pursuits. I got lots of cleaning and laundry done, Kate and Rachel found Halloween costumes, and I got to go to Mary Dahl's fortieth birthday party downtown on Saturday night. That was a pretty cool event. Her friends had arranged for it to be in the basement of this swanky little place called the Red Feather Lounge. We had a couple of private tables in the wine cellar so it was just us and we were able to converse and play games and eat with our intimate little group. Mary deserves a cool party!
Thank goodness I have all these activities to keep me busy so I'm not just thinking of the time ticking ever closer to surgery. Now that I've told Kate that Aunt Heidi is coming to stay for a week during my recovery time, Kate is constantly telling me "only such and such more days 'till Aunt Heidi comes," which in my mind immediately translates to "only such and such more days until I have to wake up at 5 a.m. to be down at the hospital to be prepped for surgery, be put under scary general anesthetic, have body parts I've grown quite attached to removed, wake up and not know where I am, and then have it all come back to me when I start feeling the pain," yes, thanks for reminding me, Kate! But I'm excited about having Heidi come too.
You'll all be happy to know I made it through the entire week without any help with laundry or meals for the first time since the end of February. I didn't think it possible, but I can still plan meals, cook them, and feed them to my family, and I still remember where the detergent goes in the washing machine. Amazing! We're actually able to hold this place together on our own! Believe me when I say doing it myself again this week has made me appreciate all the help I have received even more. It's a lot of work! That's pretty much all I had time to do other than water aerobics and running stuff to my kids at school and taking them to appointments. I forgot how much I used to do.
This week I'd like to thank my mom for assisting me with costumes for Kate and Tadman. Costuming for Halloween is always stressful to me, and doubly so this year, but grandma is making sure everyone ends up just as adorable as always. I'd also like to thank Kathy Palfryman and Sue Iverson for visiting me to assess my needs as I approach surgery, to offer friendship and support, and to Sue for lending me the book club book. Thanks to my sister-in-law, Val, for calling me to see how I am doing. I hope I can actually talk to her soon face-to-face. Thanks to Ron and Grandma Dee for being willing to take Tadman any time, and for offering to take him during my MRI this week and my surgery next week, and since he loves being with them so much, like Kate he can't wait for that surgery day to get here! Thanks to everyone who left comments on my blog since my last post. I am buoyed by your support, your prayers, and all the kind words you leave. Getting a comment on my blog, to me, is just like eating a great piece of chocolate, and since I can't have chocolate right now, I savor those comments! Last but certainly far from least, thanks to my sister Heidi for giving Kate something to look forward to, and for giving me peace of mind about my family and home so I can focus all my attention on dreading surgery. You know I'm kidding, Heidi. I am so glad you are coming and so appreciative you would suggest it.
I have so much to be grateful for, family and friends being at the very top of the list!

8 comments:

  1. you are just a great writer, you captivate us with your words! you hide your sickness well, as always. who knew you were feeling worse when you act so healthy. isn't the countdown for surgery just one more thing you can check off your list of things you have to do before life can be normal again?
    BTW-- "everybody knows your name" and LOVES you at project day! fridays could be your new special day, AND I am sure you could bring a puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy Margi, people who don't know you might think you've been sitting around doing nothing since February, the way you talk! Those of us who DO know you, know you have kept up an amazing level of activity through the chemo. We all want to help you, and I'm glad you've had many of your needs met, but you have done so much for us, as well! Let us jump in wherever we can in the coming weeks, PLEASE! You are in our hearts and PRAYERS daily!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love reading your posts. Like the people being lowered into the pool, it makes you glad for the trials you have.
    It was fun to see you in the wine cellar. hehe I just wish it would have been easier to communicate across the tables. Which was your lie, by the way? I think we all decided that you WERE a discjockey, but NOT reggae. ARe we right?
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad there's nothing to report health-wise! I'm sure your body is going through so heavy-duty detoxing after all it's had to go through. Way to, once again, go through it quietly and patiently. It's got to feel so good to do laundry and cleaning again...I LOVE a laundry basket full of freshly cleaned clothes, ready to put away, still warm from the dryer. I don't have anything important to say but wanted to give you a little piece of chocolate here...with hugs and loves from me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's something just SO special about having a sweet, innocent, precious child looking forward to your visit. Why is that? But it just warms my heart to think that little Kate is excited to see her aunt Heidi. Yes, it did not go unnoticed that Hunter did NOT register the same giddy excitement for my visit . . . and I noticed that Taddy has opted out of the house for the day. Thank goodness for Kate! I'm really looking forward to being there. However, your post causes me serious concern . . . despite your being depleted by cancer, you run circles around me, girl! I'm taking my vitamins and doing my calisthenics to build up my stamina. I got big shoes to fill! You're amazing. Can't wait to see all of you.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great idea Becky had. We should have a puzzle going at project day. I would do one with you. Hang in there, sistah. Love, hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margi,
    My love and prayers are with you today. I spoke with your sister Heidi this morning, and by the way, she sounds just like you!!! She said you were in good spirits this morning before you left for the hospital. I am praying for your strength during your surgery and recovery, praying that God works through your surgeon's hands to eliminate the toxins in your breast and finally, praying that you and your family feels the love that surrounds you all during this time. You've come a long way, Baby!!! Hang in there and don't do too much in this next phase of recovery!
    Much love,
    Theresa Moser

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope surgery went well. I was thinking of you all day. That must have been the famous Aunt Heidi that I saw checking Kate out of school after the program this afternoon. She looks and sounds terrific.
    Love to you and your family,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete