Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Some Days Hope Is A Pumpkin Waffle






Okay, so I'm comfortable with the writing part of blogging, but I am most uncomfortable with the technical part, so I'd like to have these pictures with each of my kids (courtesy of Becky Phillips) scattered throughout my update, but since I can't figure out how to do that, you'll just have to see them all together in this business-like and non-artistic fashion. I put them in today because I am so happy to still be doing my life's work--raising my kids, and every day I'm a little closer to being back to full strength and back to being as involved in their day-to-day lives as I'd like to be, but I still have a little way to go.
Last Friday while most of them were at school, I went to my first appointment with Dr. Tonya Kuhn, my newest addition to my stable of physicians. She's adorable, petite, personable, and professional. She started out by letting me know about all the long and short term possible side effects of radiation--the short term being fatigue, surface burns, and scarring, and the long term being possible lung problems or contracting another, less treatable kind of cancer. But according to the research that's been conducted on the matter, the insurance against the spread of this cancer outweighs the possibility of these bad side effects, so I signed up for my next round of torture, this time 30 sessions (5 weekly for 6 weeks) of radiation treatments. I have an appointment this Friday to be scanned and marked so the radiation will be in just the right spot, and then if everything goes as planned I will start the radiation the Monday after Thanksgiving and finish up the week after the BCS National Champion has been crowned. I'll have a lot of good football games in the meantime to distract me from the pain and fatigue.
Speaking of football, Hunter's season is now officially, officially over. We've been to the JV banquet, and last night the varsity banquet. He's received praise from his coaches and his varsity letter for football, and has now turned his attention to basketball. He tried out last Friday and has made the Sophomore team, which we're happy about because he'll get more playing time than he would on JV. Now he has to put in a few weeks of practice before we get to enjoy basketball season, which very few people realize is actually my favorite game to watch on the high school level, so that's something else for me to look forward to while I'm being radiated!
While Hunter's been finishing up football, Rachel has been busy applying to colleges and working on all kinds of music. She's been officially accepted and offered money to attend Willamette University in Salem, Oregon. She's currently working on applications to University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, University of Utah, College of Idaho, and a few more to be determined. It's challenging to find the time to get the necessary paperwork done when she has several AP classes and orchestras and quartets to rehearse with. The Boise Philharmonic Youth Orchestra, in which she plays, will have it's first concert of the season this Sunday.
The younger kids get to tag along to the football banquets and concerts. Parker just got a perfect attendance award for the first quarter at Pathways Middle School, Kate is working hard on homework and piano practicing in the evenings, and her hard work is paying off, and Taddy is watching "Cars" 3 or 4 times a day, playing with his truck and trailer and Lightnin' McQueen car, and taking cool side trips with his Grandma Dee and Ron. Just last week they took him up to Donnelly to stay at the cabin a few days and winterize the ATVs. Tadman was delighted with the trip, and it was nice to have a little free time without him, but I cried when he left. Having him to take care of really keeps me going.
Speaking of keeping going, I am pretty pleased to say I made it back to water aerobics yesterday. I am hoping, and needing, to get more mobility back in my left arm before radiation starts and I think water aerobics should help. It was great to be back basking in the healthy glow of my instructor, Tammi, and all the kind people in the class who have sent me cards, flowers, and messages of encouragement since we first met. The hardest part was the stretching at the end, but that was probably of the most value to my old, stiff body. For some reason as I type that kooky song "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor keeps coming to mind, my own personal little cancer anthem.
So as I raise my kids and face impending radiation treatments, here's what I'm thankful for. I'm thankful for personal prayer, because when I'm up late nights, contemplating more treatment, feeling weak and small, thinking I can't do this one more day, I pray, and then I seem to be able to drift off, and when I wake up in the morning things seem much better. I'm thankful for extra blankets, because it's COLD outside. Obviously I'm thankful to be undergoing treatment in the best sports season of the year, when you can watch a good basketball game and a great football game in the same week, and sometimes even on the same day! I'm thankful my husband's somehow making a living with a retail store, and that I have interesting, creative, challenging children to raise. I'm thankful for all the help my mom and sister have given me in the laundry and bed making department. I admit that when they don't come to help many times nothing gets done. And although I've already mentioned him, I'm thankful to have Tadman with me each day, because in his eyes I haven't changed at all. I'm just Mommy.
And thanks to Becky for arranging and cooking a SWEET little visiting teaching brunch this morning. What a nice breakfast with friends! When life is hard, pumpkin waffles somehow make everything a little bit better.

7 comments:

  1. I love all your pictures with your kids!!! Especially that first one of you and Rachael. You are just a beautiful lady.

    Anyway, here we go with the basketball!!!! Hope it is a fun competitive year for the boys....and for us to watch.

    And I enjoyed Becky's waffles for lunch. It does ease the craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, it's time for current pictures. I want to know how long your hair has grown out and if you've colored it. I'm looking for the spiky look! You sound great! I'm also thankful for prayer . . . its gotten me through many a sleepless night also. Somethings are universal regardless of the personal details. Basketball season is the best! Enjoy!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margie,
    You're an amazing lady, wife, mother and sister. Who would have thought my little sister would grow up to teach me so much about faith, hope, prayer and love.
    I love the pictures of you and the kids. I need to get up there (hopefully during the holidays) and see your family. Seeing those pictures made me want to play a little football or basketball with Hunter, have a Spongebob drawing competition with Parker, listen to Rachel sing or play the cello, spend time reading or teasing kate and just get to know little Tadman since I hardly know him at all. I do need to tell you to keep a tight grip on that Rachel, I can't believe how grown up and beautiful she has gotten. From her pictures she has some of the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. I think she should go to BYU. She doesn't need to cheer for the teams or anything but she would be a great addition to their music department!
    Margie I'm so proud of the fine wife and mother you are and the great example you have been during this whole ordeal. I want you to know our family prays for you daily and you are in our thoughts often. I know with the Lord's help you will be healed and emerge a stronger person. I'm glad you have such great friends that support and help you.
    Love,
    John
    P.S. Every once in a while I see another John comment on your blog. Is that John Keiser? If it is, tell him hello for me when you see him. We had some great days together at Scout Camp didn't we!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still floating from my long overdue Margi hug on sunday...*happy sigh* I'm thankful for good friends who so articulately express the feelings I have (prayer), who are not only beautiful on the outside but inside too, and who remind me that there are people out there who actually enjoy and look forward to sports thingys. Have a great day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad waffles gave you hope... maybe next time I will make pancakes! you have so much to deal with right now, and I am sure you don't feel like you are doing it as well as we all think- but YOU ARE! you are bearing your burdens without complaint, and the whining that i would surely be doing!
    glad the kids are all doing well, we haven't seen kate around for a while (it is the only thing that motivates ellie to clean her room!) and yeah for basketball season! HS bball is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep thinking of Ice Age (the first) when they are sliding down the ice tunnels to certain death, nearly colliding, falling, etc. When they finally land in a snowbank, Diego says, "YEAH! Who's up for round TWO?!" That is what I think of when I think of you starting radiation. But you are such a die-hard, you are probably going to attack it with a "YEAH! Who's up for round TWO?!" I'm glad you'll have some good sports to help pass the weeks.
    Hang in there, and lots of love!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margi,
    I was coming home from downtown and thought I passed you heading into downtown. I doubted myself because it looked like you were alone. that couldn't be, could it? did you go in for your treatment alone? I will go with you!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete