Saturday, April 4, 2009

Conference and Basketball--Prescription Filled!

From reading my blog you may have established that Mondays are pretty good days for me. Well, we can add Saturdays to the good list, because today was a very good day.
You may not agree, but one of my favorite things about Saturday mornings is my kids slowly trickling into my bed. Kate'll bring Tadman in when it's still dark outside, then she'll come in a few hours later, then Parker slinks in, and sometimes even Hunter. Of course this only happens when Greg wakes up early on Saturday so there is room in the bed for all the kids. I love it!
This happened to be a special Saturday in a few more ways, because it was General Conference today (a semi-annual meeting that is broadcast from Salt Lake City in which the leaders of our church give instruction, new revelation, and encouragement) and because it was the first day of AAU basketball for Hunter and Greg (he's coaching). So as I was getting ready for basketball I was able to listen to conference, and as often happens the messages seemed especially for me. Henry Eyring quoted the very scripture that Joetta Stott put on my signed pillowcase from Alma 7 about Jesus choosing to descend to be among us and choosing to feel our pain and bear our burdens. His talk was about keeping your faith when sorrow and hardship becomes yours, and how you can be refined and perfected through burdens if you have the appropriate attitude and bear those burdens well. I loved the story about the friend with the crippled back and the cane who experienced so much pain at the end of his life but would still carry Brother Eyring's trash can up a steep driveway because he wanted to serve. I said a big "Amen" to that talk. And then the Tabernacle Choir sang "The Lillies of the Field." Beautiful!
After being spiritually fed, I got to go see my little boy Hunter play basketball! And watch Greg coach. So much fun. They won both their games, played a great style that was exciting to watch, got better as they went along, and helped me cheer, relax, and forget about cancer treatment. I may not have mentioned that Hunter has shaved his head in support of me, knowing that I will be losing my hair soon, and it's helped his basketball game. He looks awfully intimidating with his 6 ft. 3 inch frame, 285 pounds, and bald head going on. He played great, the team played well together, the coaching was phenomenal, and it was way better than the two final four games later in the day.
To wrap up a lovely Saturday my husband took me out for dinner and I even had an appetite! Like I say, I think Saturdays are going to be good days!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Margi and the Nettles (sounds like a sweet band),

    I want to say hey and let you know we're praying for you guys just about every time we have family prayer. Keep your chins up. We're rooting for you from down here. We love you.

    Trev, Liz and Ben (you can see more of us at etweed.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margi, I'm so glad that Saturdays are good days too! Sounds like you had a great one. I agree with the kids trickling in to bed in the morning, love their warm little bodies in their soft jamies and sleepy little eyes...but have to say I'm glad it's you and not me with the whole basketball thing. I just can't stay interested (I know, bad mom award!) so I admire those who can! Glad shaving his head has helped his game...way to psych out your opponants! Can't wait to hear conference. We will meet in a building downtown to listen to it as a branch next week. I'll think about you when I listen to Elder Eyring talk. Hang in there! You're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margi,
    You are such an inspiration and incredible woman!! Need I say more....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margi,
    "ryan" is actually from Theresa even though I'm sure Ryan feels the same way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margi,
    I'm praying for you and Stephanie P. Conference was wonderful! Glad basketball cheers you too. We have a similar schedule. Hang in there with a smile. I think it would be fun to have a photo of Hunter and his new hair style on the blog.
    Love,
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  6. You deserve a wonderful Saturday. I'm glad that you were feeling better. Love the quote, "Your future is as bright a your faith," from Pres. Monson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you can have good days too! you need a break from the yucky ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margi,

    I've just tearfully read your entire blog to-date. I love it and I love you! You're inspiring and amazing! I'm so grateful for your "blessing counting" outlook. I think that's what brings me to tears, more than any sadness. Your blog isn't sad or self-pitying at all! The only sadness is that I am so far away . . . however, I have learned that prayers are effective from any distance. . . one of the many miracles of prayer. I think about you all the time and hope that you can continue to keep your head up. I know you will. You're your mother's daughter, and that's what you do . . . Thank you for sharing your experiences in this format for all of us. You help us all to understand each other better, know how to serve one another better and give us perspective on our own challenges and struggles. Thanks for your inspiring example.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete