Thursday, April 30, 2009

Through Bumps and Bruises, Rain and Hail, Life Must Go On!

It's late, and I'm tired, but the blog must go on...
You'll all be happy to know Kate has made her presentation and the horse report has been put to bed. Hunter, Tadman and I went to watch her and she did a wonderful job. We saw a few other kids make their reports as well and now I know, second graders are capable of some pretty thorough animal reports. I also know all about horses, polar bears and giraffes. I will be even more excited when the other kids are done with all their assignments and school is out for summer.
Since I have been advised to quit walking by my doctors, I motivated myself to get up Wednesday and go to water aerobics. When I got to the pool the instructor had me come up next to her and she introduced me to the entire pool and told everyone I was doing chemotherapy. You have really very little dignity left when you're in a bathing suit, bald, and being called to every one's attention before getting in the pool to do water aerobics. Now I can face anything. Well, it may have been a little more humiliating when the nurse practitioner asked to look at my bottom when I told her it was sore at my doctor's appointment on Monday. I'm stripping away a lot of onion layers here. After the big introduction I really enjoyed the workout. My sister's right--water aerobics is a lot like playing in the pool when you're a kid. It's hard to think of it as exercise.
Heather and mom came to my house to do their bed making and laundry soon after water aerobics was over. Tadman is growing accustomed to their routine now, and boy is he excited when they come. He loves my sister's yellow "huck", and my mom has started bringing him books and blocks and other little presents so he's thrilled when he sees them coming. I am too, of course. They act as therapists as well as laundresses when they come. They make sure I'm up emotionally as well as physically and always leave me feeling better than when they came.
Rachel's off to Logan, Utah with the chamber orchestra until late Saturday, so there's a strong male vibe in the house right now. Greg brought Hunter home from basketball practice tonight with a huge knot on his head. Apparently he bumped heads with a teammate in one of those loose ball drills. Greg wasn't concerned, but Hunter came right home and sat down in a chair and slumped over almost asleep and I panicked thinking he had a concussion. I called Mindy and she was nice enough to call David at work and have him call us to give us his professional opinion. I'll admit I freak out about head injuries ever since Natasha Richardson bumped her head on the bunny hill at a ski resort and ended up dying of a brain hemorrhage. David thought he'd be fine, however, so hopefully he'll be more chipper in the morning.
I had a lovely talk with Mary Dahl today. What a delightful, kind friend she is. I selfishly wish she was still around the corner instead of in Vancouver, but she always feels nearby even if she's not. Thanks for calling, Mary, it was wonderful to hear your voice. Thanks to everyone who brought meals this week, Justine Powell, Sherry Bithell, and Tammee Fulghum. I know someone helped Tammee, too, but I am not sure who, so thanks to whomever helped Tammee with her meal. Thanks to Sarah Nokleby for the long phone conversation this week--I appreciate you checking in with me and always being so willing to help with anything. Thanks to Vicki Worthen and Cynthia Waldon for going bike riding through rain and hail with me this afternoon. Tadman especially enjoyed the view from the bike trailer.
As I decline physically through this treatment, and I'm beginning to accept that will happen, even to me, I am so grateful to each of you for giving me something to lean on. You truly are making my burden lighter and more bearable, and I'm needing that support more and more as treatment lengthens and my body slowly breaks down. I am a humble and grateful woman. How much pride can you have left when you have no hair and you are showing people your bottom?

2 comments:

  1. you may feel like you have lost your pride, but you certainly have grace. I am always humbled when I read your messages of gratitude and I am grumbling about administrivia and tedium. Keep Smiling and we will keep praying for you - bald and exposed though you may feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made me laugh as you described your lovely "introduction" at water aerobics. Your humor about the whole embarrassing situation made me smile. When I was going through a difficult time in my life my mom got me off my butt and into the pool doing water aerobics- it helped me being putting one foot in front of the other, so I have a special place in my heart for it. Glad you found something that won't make your feet turn red and peel!

    ReplyDelete