Thursday, April 9, 2009

MY COMPUTER'S BACK! LET THE BLOGGING BEGIN!

I am so excited to have a computer back in my home. Thank you husband! I will definitely be a blogging fool now that it has become so much more convenient.
Many things have happened since my last post, so hopefully I can get a lot of information in without putting so much detail that it's overwhelming to read. Just feel free to put your head down on your computer desk halfway through if you need to, or break away for a little snack and leg stretch.
Most of the days I have missed writing about have been great days. In fact, I told my sister Heather that I suspected they had forgotten my actual chemo drug last infusion since I was feeling so good. That's changed a little bit. Since midday yesterday that old familiar chemo feeling has returned.
Here's a little update on my life since Saturday. On Sunday we had a great family breakfast as we watched the remaining sessions of Conference. Greg wasn't with us as he was in Fort Worth, Texas, setting up a customer's turn table. Yes, I guess it must have been a pretty nice turn table to make flying Greg out to set it up worthwhile. In the evening the kids and I went to my sister's house for dinner and games. Some other family members were there, including grandma, aunts, uncles, and cousins, and we had a lot of fun playing The Couch Game and Mafia. The men in the group dominated both games and my nephew Colton unmercilously killed me in Mafia after I accused him of being mafia. He ended up winning the game by somehow convincing the others of his innocence. Ha! The highlight of the evening was when Tadman was given a balloon and brought it into the center of the room, flopped on top of it, and started biting it while all the rest of us anticipated its demise and resultant loud popping sound. Luckily when it did pop, Tadman reacted with surprise instead of terror.
On Monday my sweet friend Melissa went with me to treatment at MSTI while my other sweet friend Melinda watched Taddy. Melissa and I had a fabulous time together--at least I hope she had as much fun as I did. She helped me put pieces in the puzzle (the same one that was set up last week even!) until it was my turn to get blood work done, then offered her moral support as the nurse tried to access my port. I jinxed the poor girl by telling her it had taken them dozens of tries to access the week before, so after trying only twice she brought over the nurse who had hit the mark on her first try. And she did it on the first try again! That means only 3 pokes to access this week--a ratio I can live with.
Melissa got to meet the infamous Dr. Montgomery next. His computers were working this week so he was in a better mood than last week, but he did mention he had come three hours early to make sure they were working before patients arrived. When he examined my tumor he assured me that it that it was smaller and softer, and though he had no clinical evidence to support his assertions, he said it was his perogative as a clinician to say tumors are smaller and softer even without evidence. So there. His nurse Cathy said it's possible I won't lose my hair if I don't lose it this week, so Hunter may have shaved his head in vain. Perhaps I'll shave my head just to support him shaving his head for me.
After a few more key puzzle piece fittings, Melissa and I went in for the infusion, which is the part of the appointment where the actual chemotherapy is injected. Since it was lunch time they let me order actual food off a hospital menu and although Melissa didn't get to order anything, they did let her have a maple bar and some milk. We got to chat with a very nice gentleman who volunteers and fetches things for people while they're receiving treatment. He was excited to show us photos of his fiance' and grand kids and telling us about his upcoming wedding plans. It's actually delightful to visit MSTI because the people working and volunteering there are so kind and helpful. If any of you ever want to come see what Melissa has seen and lived to tell about, please let me know. It's fun when friends come. I usually go at about 10 a.m. on Mondays and it takes about 2 and a half to 3 hours. Puzzle building and maple bars are optional.
On Monday evening Greg arrived home and was ill again unfortunately. We had a great winter with very little illness in our family, but our spring is definitely making up for it. Overnight his temperature reached 102+ again, but he's been working through it and toughing it out since he is needed at the store. I have been spared any serious illness or fever through everyone else's illnesses, and I think that's a HUGE blessing.
On Tuesday I was feeling well enough to just live a regular day. I went to the Boise Temple (a special meeting house where members of our church can go to perform special ordinances, pray, and meditate) with my mom and sister and was able to go to Costa Vida with my friend Becky for lunch afterward. I felt great and had a good appetite and really enjoyed being out on a beautiful spring day. Later in the day I was well enough to go to a Centennial AAA Boosters meeting to help wrap up the year's activities as treasurer of that organization. Our board's biggest frustration there is finding officers to fill our spots for the new school year. It may be an organization that is no longer relevant or viable. We'll wait to see if the administration at Centennial has any input for us about finding new officers. The evening was occupied with an Open House at Pathways Middle School, a school Greg and I are investigating as a possible alternative for Parker next year. Like the rest of my kids, he has had a hard time adjusting to middle school at Lowell Scott, but unlike my other kids, his issues at Lowell Scott don't seem to be easing as the year progresses. We hope to get him in a different environment so his great potential as a student and human being can be tapped instead of being crushed. None of these hard decisions in life go away with cancer treatment. Life still has to be lived.
Since my energy and stomach were so good in the early part of the week, I decided to brave water aerobics at the YMCA on Wednesday. Tadman was with Grandma Dee and Ron, who had picked him up Tuesday afternoon to give him a little break from life with me, so it was easy to get over there. I enjoyed the class a lot, so much that I stayed for the next class, and it was fun to be with my sister and my mom and meet some of the great ladies taking the class. They were all so kind and helpful. They made sure I had good form and didn't drown, which was helpful.
So that almost brings me up-to-date because after those 2 classes I felt great, but a couple hours later I was sick to my tummy and exhausted, and other than welcoming my visiting teachers today, about all Tadman and I have done is sleep and watch Sesame Street. And that was almost too taxing.
My favorite part of having my computer back was reading your comments about my blog. I love, love, love knowing I have a whole army of concerned friends and family out there wishing me well. Please continue to comment. I like knowing you're out there. My fabulous niece Leah sent me one of my favorite letters ever and I got it today. It was even better than Sesame Street, Leah. Thank you, Leah, for reading my blog and making me feel great about myself. You know how much I love you and I can honestly say I have never seen you be unkind to anyone, ever. Thank you so much for letting me know you're with me! And again, to everyone, I appreciate all the food, gifts, cards, notes, companionship, babysitting, and love you're all so willing to provide. In the past I have at times been guilty of feeling sorry for myself, for feeling unappreciated or unnoticed at times, but THAT HAS CHANGED. I feel very loved, noticed, and taken care of by so many, many people. Thank you for making me feel like the most fortunate creature on Earth.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are doing well this week. I was happy to have Tadman. We need to work on Greg now. He needs to be at the top of his game to care for your family, work at the shoppe, AND coach an awesome basketball team!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was downtown today and briefly entertained the idea of stopping at MSTI and finishing our puzzle :) I hope your Friday goes well and that Saturday you wake up feeling fabulous. I love you and am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Margi, sign me up for another day at chemo! Do you have anyone this Monday? Also, did Jeannie call you? I think we'd both like to just be assigned a day to come over and hang with Tadman, on your bad days. Or if its better, I can bring him here. Wednesdays or Thursdays? Thursdays are usually pretty open for me, and I know they tend to be bad for you!
    Hang in there! I just want you to know, the kids never forget to mention you in EVERY prayer--and neither do Reed and I!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margi, we pray for you and your family every time we have prayers, morning, dinner, and nitetime. We love your family and think you are just great (Hunter's a little intimidating with the new haircut) (just kidding!). We love reading the blog and appreciate your feelings and all. I learned something-Karla's comment about not expecting your family to fill your bucket. That's so true. We have to fill our own and then each other's and then we can fill our family's buckets. You're wonderful! Keep on keeping on! Love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever since my mom showed me your blog I've been addicted to your good humor and hopeful attitude. You're dealing with cancer a lot more ably than I deal with college. :)
    I just thought I'd tell you that I have the most profound respect and admiration for you. I read your blog not because it makes me count my blessings, but because your voice is filled with so much hope and love for your family and for the Lord, and it makes me want to become a better person so that I can be strong and cheerful in the face of as much adversity. Please know you are always in my prayers!
    Love, Brittany Used-to-be-Whiting

    ReplyDelete