Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tiring, Yet Totally Terrific Treatment Day

Today was terrific treatment day. After getting all the kids off, including Tadman to Cindy's house (Thanks Cindy and Sam!), my friend Karla and I were off to the Monday ritual. Boy did things go smoothly today. I was hooked up for the blood draw on the very first try again! Those girls are really getting good! Then Dr. Montgomery was in fine form today--all smiles and kindness, even though the computers weren't even working perfectly, they were working well enough to get accurate, up-to-date blood counts. And maybe after I'd gotten in a total of 5 puzzle pieces, we were called into the infusion. Funny, even the nurse who came to call me in stopped momentarily and tried to put in a few pieces UNSUCCESSFULLY. You can't do a puzzle like that, lady!
The infusion was quick and easy. All that crazy anti-nausea medicine and those steroids are back on board. We'll see how long they last this week. Cathy, my nurse, said it's very normal to have fewer "good" days at this point, so my Fridays may be staying bad. She also said she thought I'd feel much better if I tried to eat small, frequent meals. That's going to be a challenge for me, but something to concentrate on this week--that and looking sexy bald. Interestingly enough, NO ONE except Cathy even noticed my hair had disappeared. I guess they see them a lot a bald women down there at MSTI.
After infusion, Karla and I had a delightful lunch downtown at Moon's Kitchen. I highly recommend it. I had the best patty melt with melted cheese and sauted onions and some great hand cut french fries and a strawberry shake. I got a small shake--don't worry. It tasted good today! The atmosphere is kind of hip diner down there, and our waitress was very kind and helpful. Let's go again sometime someone!
Oh, I had a busy busy afternoon. Parker and I had a Doctor's appointment, Hunter needed rides back and forth from the YMCA, everyone needed food, Kate had a big animal report to work on, Tadman was in dire need of a nap, we went and saw Grandma and Ron's new house, and Rachel was away working on a big power point project she's presenting in AP English tomorrow. Oh yeah, and I went to the grocery store. We even worked a short Family Home Evening in there somewhere, although I promised Kate we'd get in our game tomorrow night. You can only do so much, you know!
After a crazy evening I'm posting my blog wayyyyy too late. I hope you'll forgive me if I don't include any new insight today. Karla and I did have a great conversation at lunch about many deep and meaningful topics, and I'll include more of those observations when I can get to my blogging before 2:00 in the morning. Thanks to my sweet sister and niece and Brenda Walton for telling me my bald head is attractive. Bald women need that kind of reinforcement! Thanks to Karla for the lovely morning and lunch including some awesome discussion and puzzle building. Oh we came close to finishing that dang puzzle!

5 comments:

  1. your bald? i hadn't noticed- the beauty of your face is so overpowering you just can't see past it to your head! :)
    those puzzles! don't worry, you will conquer it! and when you do, i have one here that needs finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Margi, you should have gone bald years ago! It's true, you have a BEAUTIFUL face! Too bad you didn't shed in time for the Race for the Cure posters, huh? Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Carsten says you're lucky because most people don't end up looking so well when they're bald!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cute little turtle is crusing slowly but steadily. I hope that last week was a fluke and that you will be feeling better by Friday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the greatest shaped head!! You either have it or you don't have it, and girl...you got it!!! I'm so glad that the scarf looks so beautiful on you!!! You have such a pretty face Margi!!!

    ReplyDelete